Do you suffer from PMS … oh wait, maybe it’s Candidasis?
What does PMS has got to do with Candida, you may ask. Well, in short, it could be the side-effect of Candida overgrowth alongside other very interesting symptoms like:
- Oral or vaginal thrush- what we usually think about when hearing about Candida
- Irregular periods
- Painful periods
- Low libido
- Weak memory
- Blurred Vision
- Stuffed nose
- Sinus problems
- Rectal or vaginal itch
- Pain and swelling in the joints
- Thyroid problems
- Recurrent bladder infections
- Food and environmental allergies
Now, that is quite a varied list, don’t you think? I bet most of us could tick quite a few of these symptoms.
So, how do you know if you have yeast overgrowth? If you are worried that you might have oral or vaginal thrush, it can be easily tested by your local GP by taking a swap from the affected area. If you suspect that the yeast infection is more insidious, you could try Gut Fermentation Test or Bioresonance.
NOTE: If you suffer from irritating or offensive discharges, seek advice and diagnosis from your GP as your first point of contact before deciding on the best route to deal with your problem.
What is Candida?
Candida is an opportunistic yeast with a quick ability to proliferate if left unchecked, able to increase from just 1 to 100 cells within 24hr period which can then produce another 100 cells within the next 24hrs and so on. We ALL have yeast within our intestines but its growth is usually checked by the bacteria which live in our lower digestive tract. Whenever we go through antibiotic therapy for an acute infection or if we take small doses of antibiotics on daily basis for more chronic health problems, this this yeast vs bacteria balance gets tipped over, allowing for Candida to spread out unopposed in two ways:
- through direct invasion of ALL length of the gut and vagina, which is often portrayed as recurrent vaginal thrush- rings a bell?
- spread of toxins to other organs via bloodstream- chronic Candidasis can lead to what we commonly know as ‘leaky gut’ and create a whole range of both physical and psychological symptoms
Other factors which may increase risk of yeast overgrowth include:
- Use of contraceptive pills- due to changes to body’s natural hormone levels and cycles
- Immune deficiencies
- Diabetes- due to increase in blood sugar
- Steroids- due to their immunosuppressive character
- Specific immune-suppressants used during cancer treatment
- Poor nutrition
- Synthetic underwear
How to get rid of Candida?
Like I mentioned before, yeasts are a part of our intestinal flora so there is no talk of getting ‘rid’ of it. What we should focus on is how to reduce the levels of Candida and keep them in check so they stop being a problem to our health and wellbeing.
Bad news: no, there is NO magic pill which will go *poof* and make it go away (at least not if you don’t want a yo-yo effect). If you have extensive overgrowth of Candida, it will take some time for it to ‘die off’.
Good news: you can balance the levels of yeasts through low-carb high-protein diet, supplementation and homeopathic treatment, it works really well when dealt with as a part of contraceptive or antibiotic detox therapy.
If you’d like to find out what Nature has to offer in terms of combating the overgrowth of yeast, we have put together a list of Top 10 Herbs:
- Aloe Vera- works by soothing and promoting healing of tissue, both externally and internally where it is traditionally used in cases of constipation, haemorrhoids and liver problems. Aloe Vera is believed to display antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory and so especially effective against strep, staph and Candida.
- Cat’s Claw- displays antimicrobial effects for fungi, viruses, bacteria and parasites
- Cinnamon- Displays a powerful antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, antiparasitic and well as drying, warming and tonifying action. Traditionally used in treatment of diarrhoea as well as nausea, vomiting, cramping, gas and bloating.
- Clove Bud- Is believed to display antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties, reduce gastrointestinal spasms, expel gas and bloating, improve digestion, relieve constipation and even expel parasites.
- Garlic- is high in bioflavonoids and sulphur-containing compounds. Thought to help in lowering cholesterol levels, protecting the liver and nervous system as well as improving brain function and having powerful antihistamine, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral and antioxidant effects.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract- Rich in antioxidants which can help in supporting a healthy immune response, looking after circulatory system, improving collagen formation and protecting bones, brain, kidney & liver function, whilst reducing risk of inflammation, fungal and bacterial infections as well as tissue damage.
- Olive Leaf- shows a broad-spectrum of antimicrobial, antifungal and antiviral action whilst supporting the immune system Olive Leaf is believed to aid in eradication of yeast and candida and removal of toxic cellular waste
- Oregano Oil – is a strong antiseptic, traditionally used in anti-Candida and anti-parasitic treatment, to loose phlegm and help in expectoration as well as improve and soothe digestion and reduce formation of gas.
- Rosemary Leaf- Is a potent antioxidant which can help to detoxify the liver and nourish adrenals as well as aid in feelings of panic, heart palpitations and depression. Rosemary leaf is often used to help the feelings of poor health, fatigue and exhaustion, it can assist in recovery from long-term stress or illness and improve brain function. It is said to protect small capillaries that deliver oxygen and nutrients, improve circulation and heart health as well as inhibit the growth of Candida albicans.
- Tea Tree Oil- is thought to display a strong antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral action. It’s often used externally for problems relating to athlete’s foot, fungal nail infections, vaginitis and ringworm.
If you are looking for a synergistic combination of herbals, probiotics and vitamins, check out our Canditox Clease Complex
Designed to work alongside Candida diet and homeopathic or detox treatment.